[opendtv] Re: News: Apple's television could offer superior picture quality with advanced backlighting

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 19:23:10 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Not to mention the human interface considerations - can Bert

> control everything from his couch without the need for a keyboard

> and mouse?

Yes and no. Yes, everything controlled from the couch, because mouse and
keyboard are wireless. And the wireless mouse is no bulkier or more difficult
to use than a TV remote. No, in the sense that you do occasionally need the
keyoard, remote keyboard on your lap while sitting on the couch, to navigate to
new sites and set up new "favorites" (i.e. bookmarks).

As to the dedicated PC, I had no option. You're right, it does cost more. But
how hard would it be for the TV manufacturers to build exactly the same smart
TVs they are making now, but unshackled? Just make them thin clients, mainly
hosting a generic web browser of their choice, supplied with remote keyboards
and mouse?

Honestly, as clever as kids are with connected devices these days, it's hard to
believe this sort of product wouldn't sell. I've even had salesmen apologise
for the lack of features available with the connected TVs. So it's not like
this is is a mystery!