[opendtv] Re: News: Apple's television could offer superior picture quality with advanced backlighting

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 16:58:11 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> If the networks were consistent, they would not have created these portals
> in the first place. They were OK with letting you access this content on
> the PC in the den, but NOT on the TV in the family room.

You sort of have a point. In that initially, those web sites were meant only
for occasional, sitting-up-to-PC viewing. But the networks have clearly seen
that people like me exist, and they have adapted.

A couple of years ago, online shows were only interrupted maybe 4 times, and
each time with no more than 30 second ads. These days, they are interrupted as
often as OTA, and the ad breaks are more like 60 to 120 seconds, depending on
the network and show. (Still a good deal, but the writing is on the wall.)

Still, I have no problem with networks objecting to *a* ubiquitous TV interface
to access their content. And there's absolutely no reason why the CE vendors
can't think independently on this matter. Don't be such lemmings, vendors.

> Google did nothing to demand exclusivity

So, I take that to mean that if I bought one of those way overhyped GoogleTV
connected TVs, I could pick my choice of web browser and my choice of search
engine? If that were the case, you'd have a point, Craig.

> I'm certain you would object if they could come up with a way to disable
> your ability to view their content via your PC.

As I've said on here before, some shows, notably "The Mentalist" from CBS, are
not available online. Not even during rerun season. So they do block some of
their own content, and it's their right to do so. If I wanted to see the show
badly enough, I could record it on my Philips OTA PVR.

I don't object to that so much. I object a lot more if I buy a connected TV
that can only access Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and Pandora (or take your pick of
the handful of sites some of these connected TVs give access to).