[opendtv] Re: News: Apple's television could offer superior picture quality with advanced backlighting

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 15:44:31 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The are only two rationales I can see for the networks refusing to
> allow Google TV devices to connect to their streaming portals:
>
> 1. They want to control and monetize TV search themselves.
> 2. They do not want to pay Google for preferred search results.

Yes and yes! I agree with those points. And I agree with the networks for
holding to those points.

Any collaboration has to be mutually beneficial. If it's not mutually
beneficial, then I honestly cannot see why we, the consumers, have to march in
lock step, like a bunch of lemmings, to please companies that want to develop
"new business models" that don't make sense.

The content owners hold the cards. They have what consumers want. These new
would-be middlemen do not provide added value, and potentially could become
just another nuisance, in the near future, if given a chance. Another potential
road block, with demands or disputes of their own creation.

> I can see where the networks might try to develop a TV search
> capability, just as they have developed streaming portals for
> their content.

That's a given. BUT, if consumers take matters into their own hands, a single
search capability that favors just one network will never happen. Because the
networks compete. There is nothing to limit a consumer to an NBC-provided or
CBS-provided search engine.

In this case, the bad guys are those that want to lull consumers into yet
another closed ecosystem that is totally unnecessary. Fortunately this time
around, it appears that MAYBE consumers have figured it out. The jury is still
out.