[opendtv] Re: Math of oversampling

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 23:31:20 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:
But every Congressional
 > critter there was lapping up the hype and believing everything
they
 > heard about this receiver verbatim. They want to bad. But they
do not
 > want to test, set receiver standards or talk to anyone who
cautions that
 > there are concerns and opportunities.
 >
 > They only are concerned about, and quickly will agree, that
this is all
 > about short term political expediency.

They can't get there from here.

But they might be enticed instead by the idea of renting the
spectrum instead of selling it.  Then the broadcasters could also
start leasing the second channel and have an incentive to either
make ATSC work or say it doesn't.

Just start renting the spectrum for a bit more every year until
the fees reach whatever market value other participants are
willing to pay.  It becomes a market, sounds good, and takes in
the money they'd like.

- Tom