[opendtv] Re: Math of oversampling

  • From: "Don Munsil" <don@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:15:39 -0700

From: "Bob Miller" <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Yes what I want to know is can I approach the quality of HD by sending a
> 480P signal and what is the price in bits above what a 480i quality
> signal would cost percentage wise. I know this has 20 or more variables,
> but what I am looking for is a sense of what the cost would be.

Yes, I would say you can approach the quality of HD with a top quality
480p60 feed, for the majority of viewers. There will be a difference, but
not an earth-shaking one for most viewers with most televisions.

I think your assessment of the bitrate costs is in the right ballpark.

> Would a typical  customer with a.) a good analog set and b.) a decent
> 42" or smaller HD set be likely to say this looks almost as or as good
> as HD does on the same set.

Yes. No doubt. The high-end folks would see the difference, but most
consumers would clearly say that it looks better than regular TV, and would
have a difficult time seeing the difference between it and 1080i/720p.

Heck, I do demos of DVD vs. DVHS on my high-resolution projector at home,
and most folks can't see the difference when I switch between HD and SD on
the same film. I see it clearly, and usually if I point out small details
(wisps of hair, facial lines, etc.), people can start to tell the
difference. But invariably people are unimpressed by the benefits of HD
resolution. Even I have to admit that the difference is not as huge as I had
hoped.

Don