[opendtv] Re: Math of oversampling

  • From: "Don Munsil" <don@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:03:43 -0700

From: "Doug McDonald" <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> It depends on the source material. Theatrical films are very poor source
> material for telling HDTV from SDTV (DVD is SDTV). Nevertheless it is
> very very easy to tell the difference on a good HD, even at 40 inches,
> which is what I own.

Very very easy for you and I and others on this list, sure. For the general
public? I have severe doubts.

> That's not to say that really really good 480p, originally
> made with true HD or 480p TV cameras is not quite good ... as was shown
> by Fox before they went true HDTV.

So we agree. :-)

> The true test is not movies ... it is sports shot live on 720p or 1080i,
> Leno, or the better ABC HDTV sitcoms.

Agreed. However, I've made the comparison of the same sports material at
720p and 480p (using the downsampling capabilities of my HD-Tivo), and other
sports at 1080i converted to 480p, and while I thought the differences were
significant (and how could they not be?), "real" 480p still looked
surprisingly good, and certainly much improved over deinterlaced 480i.

If I can find the time, I'll do some tests here with 720p compared to
720p->480p->720p. Obviously it'll look worse, but I think many will be
surprised at how good 480p can look. If I can find a clip or still I can put
on the net, I'll stick the comparison somewhere folks can see it.

Don