[opendtv] Re: MIMO

  • From: "Cliff Benham" <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:31:02 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of John Shutt
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 2:29 PM
To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [opendtv] Re: MIMO

>TANSTAAFL.
ISBIDKWTM.

>Bowtie antennas, UHF Loop Antennas, and Rabbit Ears do not respond to
>circular polarization in the same way as a purpose built circularly
>polarized receive antenna does.

I understand that. I presently have a huge 17db gain parabolic UHF antenna
28 ft.
in the air with a mast mounted preamp and RG-11 cable, but would gladly
replace it
with a circularly polarized type and add a rotor if it meant I could at last
get
'broadcast quality' ATSC reception.

My question remains unanswered. How much testing has ever been done on
ATSC rception using circular polarization? How well does it actually work
compared to the sputtering, freezing, choppy ATSC 'reception' I now endure?

> To get the anti-ghosting benefit, you would
>have to have an outdoor antenna that was mounted on a mast and rotor.
>(Being a CP antenna, it is also by definition directional.)

Fine,I'm certainly willing to do all that. I just expect it to work far
better than
what I have now. See pic.
Cliff

John.