[opendtv] Re: MIMO

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:21:05 -0700

John wrote:
> P.S. To be clear, many UHF broadcast antennas have both horizontal and
> vertical properties.  The FCC measures maximum ERP only in the
> Horizontal plane, and usually broadcast antennas have much less
> energy in the vertical than the horizontal.  This is still called
> Circular Polarization.

This is actually known as elliptical polarization. Many antenna do use a
degree of elliptical Pol. and off handedly it is sometimes called CP.
However, there are also a number of true CP installations, though I believe
that elliptical is clearly in the majority and they do also improve
reception but to a lesser degree. It's an economic trade off.