[opendtv] Re: MIMO

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:05:48 -0400

What they are trying to do is double the bandwidth so that they can
add an MPEG4 HD service on the same channel as the current SD service.

found the article.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/televisions/0,39029474,49289930,00.htm

Bob Miller

On 4/30/07, Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>There was a proposal once to use circular polarity for UHF television.
>Using Right Hand Circular, for example, could be received by a RH Circular
>antenna.  A reflection off of a tall building or other hard surface would
>create a mirror image reflection, or a Left Hand Circular signal, that
would
>be rejected by the Right Hand Circular receive antenna.
>
>However, a horizontally polarized signal remains horizontally polarized
when
>reflected off of a building, and ditto for a vertically polarized signal.
>
>John

For ATSC this idea seems like a huge miss. Where was it 10 years ago?
I have not ever seen this expressed anywhere before now.

How much of an improvement for ATSC would circular polarization make in
terms of
the reduction in echos and reflections and how expensive would it be for
broadcasters?

How much of an improvement or reduction in performance would this idea have
on mobile?