[opendtv] Re: Increase in "Paid Programming" on Networks

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:27:19 -0700

In San Diego, we generally don't see program-length spots in prime time.
However, they are still bothersome whenever they air.  Like going from "This
Week with George Stephanopolous" to Kevin Trudeau's latest B.s.

I have seen them in prime time after prime-time or prime-fringe sporting
events air, but it seems to me that the station's don't repeat the sin.

It's been some time since I checked, but it seems they are all over the
place on cable, before noon on Sunday mornings.

I strongly suspect that they "aren't very good" as lead-ins to 10 or 11 p.m.
newscasts, and those are $$ for stations.

To get back to the last aspect of Dan's initial query, the FCC determined
that permitting program-length commercials isn't a violation of any license
obligations (about 20 years ago), however, the amount of commercial time can
be taken into consideration at license renewals.

And, remember, that once they cease analog transitions, licensees get
"renewal expectancy" from the FCC, under the terms of the 1996 Comm. Act
amendments.

John Willkie