[opendtv] Re: Hulu Reaches Content Deal For FX Original Series | Multichannel

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 01:43:31 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> The word "exclusive" means you can't get it anywhere else. At least,
>> not until after a long delay. Now you can.

> You are wrong.
>
> Exclusivity is essential to bundling. Yes there are ways to access
> exclusive content the day after the premiere on a MVPD system.

I don't even know there's a "next day" delay implied in that FX programming on
Hulu. Even if there is, to watch the program VOD, that's entirely negligible.

> And it is more expensive than subscribing to the extended basic
> bundle, when you add up the cost to access multiple programs in
> this manner - think of it as ala carte pricing.

Vague generalities. All depends what the viewer wants to watch. Many cable
shavers and cable cutters disagree strongly with you, and have put their own
numbers on articles and blogs.

> And then there is the minor issue of all of the live content in
> the bundle that is not available at any price.

If live content is sports, many people couldn't care less. If the live content
is better consumed on demand, it's now available on demand with an
insignificant delay (sometimes hours only).

Sorry, Craig. Exclusive means nothing if I can get the same new content through
other channels.