[opendtv] Re: Hulu Reaches Content Deal For FX Original Series | Multichannel

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 08:56:32 -0500

> On Dec 19, 2014, at 9:54 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
> <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>
>> An exclusive deal with Hulu to air shows that were exclusive to the
>> extended basic bundle...
>
> Now are you starting to get it, Craig? I assume they mean Hulu Plus. Do you
> see content migrating to alternative pipes? Do you see content that is no
> longer subject to subsidizing sports? Do you think that the producers of this
> content wanted to recapture cable cutters and cable shavers?

Did you even read the article or just start typing?

The deal covers both Hulu Plus and Hulu. Plus subscribers get earlier access
than the free Hulu service.

This is not an example of content migrating to alternative pipes. It IS an
example of how exclusive content produced for the extended basic bundle,
migrates to exclusive secondary distribution via new middlemen, just as
broadcast network programming migrates to Netflix and global syndication.

Are these services trying to recapture cable cutters? No doubt this will make
up a small portion of the potential audience. But they could not pay these
kinds of licensing fees just to go after 1% of U.S. homes.

Put another way, the majority of Netflix subscribers ALSO subscribe to the
extended basic bundle. No doubt this is true for Hulu Plus as well.