[opendtv] Re: Huh?

  • From: Mark Aitken <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:04:25 -0500

Monocle TV viewing...
;^)

Kon Wilms wrote:

>I find it amusing that no-one ever brings up the topics of arm and
>vision fatigue when watching content on a portable device. The fact is,
>it just gets annoying after 30 minutes, regardless of the quality of the
>service. The popularity of headsets just proves this - people are so
>lazy that holding a phone to their ears is too much effort.
>
>Everything you refer to is mounted and not handheld, with a larger
>viewing size. People tend to tune in and out of these systems because
>they are zero commitment. They don't have to pull a device out of a
>pocket, tune in, orient it, lose function of an arm since it is now a
>glorified mount, and then have to pack the device away when they are done.
>
>Video to cell phones is a fad. Now, video to cell phones which can
>retransmit their video content to the closest display device (i.e. a PMP
>on your desk, PMP in your car) - that has potential. At least you are no
>longer constrained to a jailed viewing experience. Smart hubs are
>nothing new though - the wearable computing crowd has been pushing these
>concepts for years (but people just ignore them, maybe it has something
>to do with the VR fad in the 80s).
>
>Cheers
>Kon
>

>>Well first off if you are not the pilot it is possible to watch TV while
>>flying. Thousands are doing it right now.  And we will watch DTV in the
>>subway. Watching big screen TV monitors seems to be all the rage in
>>church these days. I could go on.

><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>
Regards,
Mark A. Aitken
Director, Advanced Technology
<><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><
===================================
Sinclair Broadcast Group
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
===================================
"There is nothing so likely to produce peace
as to be well prepared to meet the enemy."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ George Washington ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Business TEL: (410) 568-1535
Business MOBILE: (443) 677-4425
Business FAX: (410) 568-1580