[opendtv] Re: Huh?

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 13:49:55 -0500

I find it amusing that no-one ever brings up the topics of arm and
vision fatigue when watching content on a portable device. The fact is,
it just gets annoying after 30 minutes, regardless of the quality of the
service. The popularity of headsets just proves this - people are so
lazy that holding a phone to their ears is too much effort.

Everything you refer to is mounted and not handheld, with a larger
viewing size. People tend to tune in and out of these systems because
they are zero commitment. They don't have to pull a device out of a
pocket, tune in, orient it, lose function of an arm since it is now a
glorified mount, and then have to pack the device away when they are done.

Video to cell phones is a fad. Now, video to cell phones which can
retransmit their video content to the closest display device (i.e. a PMP
on your desk, PMP in your car) - that has potential. At least you are no
longer constrained to a jailed viewing experience. Smart hubs are
nothing new though - the wearable computing crowd has been pushing these
concepts for years (but people just ignore them, maybe it has something
to do with the VR fad in the 80s).

Cheers
Kon