[opendtv] Re: Huh?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:45:21 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> The living room will become the theater but most TV watching
> will be done on smaller devices. Trying to keep OTA
> broadcasting going in the US with 8-VSB with delivery only
> to the living room and HD in competition with cable,
> satellite, broadband and FIOS is doomed.

Why do you keep saying this, when reports on the reception
capabilities of the new LG-based USB ATSC receivers tell otherwise?
Why should it be so difficult to build the ATSC receiver into a
lap-top PC, to look much like the German portable TVs/DVD players
Mark pointed out?

Even if 8-VSB can't match COFDM in terms of ease of reception in
this specific application, in which COFDM is at its best, it
apparently works very well anyway. When NTSC goes off, I will bet
you that this type of portable will become available. Note that
in Germany, it's PAL shutoff that created the incentive. Those
portables are no match, cost-wise, for the analog cheapies they
replace.