[opendtv] Re: HDMI on HP Laptop

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 14:50:15 -0600

Dan Grimes wrote:

> I have several HP laptops with Win XP and Win 7 (64-bit) and
> an HDMI output.  We mostly use the VGA outputs because the
> HDMI doesn't work with a DVI connection to our scan converters
> and many displays; the output is disabled.  I have gotten it
> to work with some LCD monitors using the HDMI input and also
> with DVI.  But if you play a DVD, the port goes dead.
> Obviously the HDMI port is using HDCP and that always causes
> me a headache.

Strange the HDMI port would go dead when playing DVDs. That's the problem with
these digital ports, though. The manufacturers have a way of screwing them up.

I found a good option, though. This Dell Inspiron 580.

The only problem with them is, no BluRay capability. But they are meant to be
sold without monitors, as media centers, and the graphics cards include a 1366
X 768 setting. So I would find it really hard to believe that the HDMI would
block DVDs!

And they are apparently very quiet.