From: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Manfredi, Albert E
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2010 3:50 PM
To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [opendtv] Re: HDMI on HP Laptop

Dan Grimes wrote:

> I have several HP laptops with Win XP and Win 7 (64-bit) and an HDMI
> output.  We mostly use the VGA outputs because the HDMI doesn't work
> with a DVI connection to our scan converters and many displays; the
> output is disabled.  I have gotten it to work with some LCD monitors
> using the HDMI input and also with DVI.  But if you play a DVD, the
> port goes dead.
> Obviously the HDMI port is using HDCP and that always causes me a
> headache.

Strange the HDMI port would go dead when playing DVDs. That's the problem
with these digital ports, though. The manufacturers have a way of screwing
them up.

I found a good option, though. This Dell Inspiron 580.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-580/fs

The only problem with them is, no BluRay capability. But they are meant to
be sold without monitors, as media centers, and the graphics cards include a
1366 X 768 setting. So I would find it really hard to believe that the HDMI
would block DVDs!

And they are apparently very quiet.