[opendtv] Re: Global standard

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 14:22:10 -0500

John Shutt WROTE:

> As was advocated by some back in the pre-transition days, (cough*me*cough,)
> a single worldwide transport standard, with agile 6-7-8 MHz receivers,
> would have been an ideal solution.  I was shot down several times over the
> complexity of making agile 6-7-8 MHz RF front ends, until DVB receiver
> manufacturers started doing it.

Except that Mark has gone way beyond that now. You're advocating retaining the
existing local broadcaster model, each local broadcaster with one (or two)
6/7/8 MHz RF channel(s). He's advocating moving all TV OTA broadcasting over to
an LTE infrastructure, to be shared with two-way comms. (There is a
multicast-broadcast mode available to LTE, although last I saw, it had not
actually been implemented yet. Maybe by now it has been.)

LTE doesn't work with such narrow frequency channels. It's 20 MHz and up, with
4G LTE expected to require 100 MHz channels. Needless to say, that change
carries with it a more fundamental change to the local broadcaster model than a
mere change to RF modulation from 8T-VSB to DVB-T2, or similar.

It would also be possible to use LTE only in narrow channels. For example,
stick with the smaller slices that would normally be aggregated up to reach the
wide band channels. One such small slice is 5 MHz. That would still change
everything. Because any sort of wireless two-way standard means cellular, which
means a mosaic of frequency channels throughout the market area. Very difficult
to imagine such a system being viable with a dozen local broadcasters in the
market area, with the amount of spectrum available to TV broadcast, IMO.
Besides which, you wouldn't get enough b/s to have broadband 2-way bragging
rights. You'd be back to the initial 3G capability, before HSPA.

Seems to me that Mark is rethinking more than just a change in modulation.