[opendtv] Re: Global standard

  • From: Mark Aitken <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 09:45:56 -0400

We need mobility. With a well designed system that includes LPDC, we should be able to get 10-12Mb/s mobile. With HEVC we should then be able to (in the not to far future) get 3 or 4 1080p streams Mobile, 6 or 8 720p streams Mobile, 12 or 15 480p streams Mobile.

IP allows use of common browsers might be one way to look at 'why' IP.

So, as to your question of the future for this broadcast model'. If we do the above the answer is a resounding "YES" to the future.

But why limit the model to 6MHz channel slices into the future? You can get more efficiency with broader bandwidths.

Thoughts?

Mark

On 4/30/2012 4:53 PM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Mike Tsinberg wrote:

Can we fit two or more 1080i signals into that channel?

The answer to that question is, "You can hope to fit two 1080i streams over a single 6 MHz channel a lot better if you DO NOT insist on the unnecessary IP overhead!"

What's nice about DVB-T2 is that it gets true spectral efficiency that's at least as good as 8T-VSB. Meaning, you can actually achieve better b/s/Hz at the same C/N margin requirement, as 8T-VSB. This is because they have gone to the low density parity check scheme.

Combine that with H.265 compression, and you have a good scheme for OTA broadcast.

BUT:

The question then is, do we really think this broadcast model has a future, or do we think that everyone wants to use VOD anyway, and that therefore optimizing for broadcast, optimizing for two 1080i streams per 6 MHz channel, and optimizing for few transmit towers, no longer makes any sense?

That's the issue. Perhaps your questions aren't the right ones to ask? Perhaps Mark Aitken's approach is more likely for the future, which means (IMO) that you accept lower spectral efficiency AND a very questionable role for most of the local broadcasters in the future?

begin:vcard
fn:Mark Aitken
n:Aitken;Mark
org:Sinclair Broadcast Group (SBG);Engineering
adr:;;10706 Beaver Dam Road;Cockeysville;MD;21030;USA
email;internet:maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
title:VP of Advanced Technology
tel;work:410-568-1535
tel;fax:410-568-1580