[opendtv] Re: Did Apple Just Crush the Next Revolution?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 08:39:24 -0400

At 1:56 AM -0400 6/19/11, Richard C. Ramsden wrote:
Did you actually read the patent?
The headline is tripe, and has no bearing  on patent.  You've been trolled!
It only works in movie theaters, to keep people from doing something that is already illegal in the US. Content has to have some protection, otherwise it is worthless. Content has to have value, otherwise no one would bother to produce it.
If you only want what you can get for free then you are welcome to the sewer.

your tripe is putrid.

Richard

Are you saying that my comment was tripe?

That's a bit harsh.

;-)

I merely noted that the content owners are concerned about this and that Apple (a company that licenses their content) patented a potential solution. I agree with you that the content owners have the right to do so. And this is certainly not the first time that they have tried to prevent illegal copying at theaters, concerts and sporting events.

I also agree that the headline was sensational and that it would be difficult for governments to prevent people from using their cell phones to capture atrocities. I would note, however, that in Egypt and other areas they HAVE shut down cellular networks to slow the process of news getting out.

We now live in a "spy versus spy" world of technology where it is difficult to place "good guy" and "bad guy" labels on either side.

I suppose that it would be possible to totally disable devices based on geo-location data. IF the device reports a location that is a theater, concert venue or sports stadium, just turn it off. You would not need to ask people to turn off their phones. But Senator Franken would probably create legislation requiring the content owners to let you opt out...

;-)

Last time I went to the theater I was surfing on my iPhone during the commercials before the movie. A guy behind me got upset and asked me to turn the phone off because the screen was bothering him...