[opendtv] Re: Did Apple Just Crush the Next Revolution?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 07:52:52 -0400

Oh, so you're one of THOSE people. I can't blame him.

The problem with this sort of behavior is that one never knows if the offender will quit during the movie, or whether we'll be subjected to his antics throughout. This is also true with people who talk loudly during the commercials, or people who carry on cell phone conversations during the commercials. I mean, it's not like it never happens that these people carry on after the movie starts, right? So yeah, he probably wanted to nip that behavior in the bud, before it got into the movie.

I understand your point. But people DO talk during the commercials and IMHO have every right to do so. I NEVER talk on my cell phone at a theater. The main reason I had it out was to mute the ringer.

People have the right to complain when appropriate, not that it always does them any good.

We went to an open air concert in St. Petersburg a few weeks ago. We came early and set up chairs with a view of the stage through a corridor for people to move to the front area. When the concert began people jammed the front and the corridor and totally blocked the view for dozens of people who had come early to get decent seats. I went to one group of people and told them they were being impolite and blocking the view for everyone behind them. They didn't give a damn. Later I saw some off duty cops and asked if there was anything they could do. The response was "are you kidding? Half the people here can't see because of the rest."

We all depend on the humanity of others...

 Once again, YOU are demonstrating your disdain for all that is Apple,
 and your lack of understanding of the Flash issue.

You mean, the bogus Flash issue, which could have been solved with the proper accelerator? It's all about control, Craig, how come you don't see this? I don't disdain Apple at all. They are very good at this. If anything, they are to be admired. It's not Apple, Craig.

We agree more than not.

Apple gave Adobe a simple out. Update Flash to use an industry standard codec that IS accelerated. Adobe is the one that has been trying to promote a proprietary solution that is a power hog. Fortunatley this is a non issue. It is now VERY RARE to access sites that only work with Flash.

Today, on NPR (Interfaith Voices), I heard a very revealing interview of a woman whose mom was a supposed "guru," with a religious cult following. And the daughter was just as much into the cult as the other followers, and in fact convinced herself that she too could read the intentions of The Divine. She described how her mom had power over people, how she could talk non-stop for hours on end, and so on. She described how these "thoughts" would come into her head, and how she thought they were in fact visions of the future.

All I could think during the interview was, what on earth can possibly possess people to be so profoundly gullible, so controllable, so deluded? Is there no skeptical bone in their bodies? The daughter finally discovered that it was all bogus, but if it took so many years, it really makes me wonder about her, first of all, and about the other faithful deluded.

It has always been thus...

Indoctrination has been a viable control technique for as long as people could communicate. All it takes is a bit of magic, like the village leader who figured out that lunar and solar eclipses were natural phenomenon that could be predicted, not "Acts of God."

There are two major institutions of indoctrination in the U.S. today.

The Public schools

Television (and music)