[opendtv] Re: Bob likes COFDM

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:58:52 -0500

At 5:24 PM -0500 3/27/05, John Golitsis wrote:
>Wow...what a contradiction!  On one side you say most early adopters already
>subcribe to cable or DBS and can get their HD 'fix' that way, and on the other
>side, you suggest that they should want SD broadcast OTA?!!  How do you
>reconcile this?  The SD they can get in spades via cable or
>satellite.  Network
>HD, they cannot (for the most part).

I do not see any contradiction. HD is a niche market and will
continue to be such for years to come. That being said, however, I
see no reason why the Free OTA service cannot be a mix of both SD and
HD content, just as is the case for cable and DBS.

The DBS services will be offering local network HD within a few years
- Direct TV has already announced their deployment schedule. Cable is
moving rapidly to carry network HD content via local broadcast
affiliates - and they are doing this via negotiation, NOT
intimidation.

Where is the contradiction?