[opendtv] Re: BBC Demonstrates HDTV Broadcasts over SD Channels

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:35:16 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
 > When you add the capability to resample 720P up to 1080P for the
 > small percentage of homes that will have very large home theater
 > installations, it become crystal clear that encoding 1080 for
 > emission - either i or P-  is a waste of transmission bandwidth.
 > Several companies have introduced sophisticated image processing
 > chips to do this - they include de-interlacing capabilities,
and in
 > some cases motion compensated frame rate conversions that
improve the
 > presentation of 24P material.

But it makes a lot of sense for HD-DVD (of any flavor).  There you
have surplus bandwidth in the next generation storage media
combined with a likely 24p film sourced movie that is easy to
compress.  Add in 4K oversampling telecine machines and it becomes
a fairly easy decision for any vendor that wants to provide the
highest quality (if they really do).

- Tom