[opendtv] Re: BBC Demonstrates HDTV Broadcasts over SD Channels

  • From: dgrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:17:14 -0700

"Why do we always have to equate HD with 16X9??" --Terry

I didn't know that I was equating the two.  I was defining real estate as
picture elements.  I sure many would argue that definition.  But isn't 16:9
480p more real estate (picture elements) than 4:3 480i?

"Nor do I care to see the DV25 NEWS ENG artifacts and noise more
clearly."-Terry

I assumed that HD news production meant producing in HD (1280x720 or
greater), not DV25.  True, news organizations will do so and I don't really
want to see that, either.

Dan Grimes

                      <tjharvey@xxxxxxx

                      >                        To:
<opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
                      Sent by:                  <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      opendtv-bounce@fr        cc:

                      eelists.org              Subject:  [opendtv] Re: BBC
Demonstrates HDTV
                                                Broadcasts over SD Channels

                      06/21/2005 10:26

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      opendtv

What is wrong with good component digital 16X9 SD? 16X9 SD has many
virtues:

1) It saves transmission bandwidth.

2) It looks a lot better than NTSC (if done correctly).

I do not care to see the station's virtual studio in more detail. Nor do I
care to see the DV25 NEWS ENG artifacts and noise more clearly.

Why do we always have to equate HD with 16X9??

Terry

> Second, The HD allows more real estate.  This benefit is what "News" can
use to it's advantage.  News producers are trying to fit way to much into
the SD picture.  The HD picture allows better and more graphics, more
people in a group conversation, better wide angle shots (making you feel
more part of the action), and even having multiple stories at the same
time.

-- Type: image/gif
-- File: graycol.gif

-- Type: image/gif