[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: "Mike Tsinberg" <Mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 10:04:17 -0500

I started work on HDTV in North American Philips in 1983 and yes we knew we
have to use Component interface then to get good picture quality. The most
attractive attribute was 16:9.

I started to work In Toshiba on DVD in 1993 and we knew from outset we will
use MPEG2 with 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 and we will take advantage of 16:9 content. We
also knew well that component is a best way to go.

DVD sold to both 4:3 and 16:9 sets but picked up popularity with HDTV sets
because of 16:9 content and component interface we called at Toshiba Color
Stream. It was not true HD but many consumers believed it was. With a good
scaler and well compressed picture quality it was pretty close. The picture
quality of DVD was considerably better then NTSC because of 4:2:0, component
interface, and VBR (Variable Bit Rate) coding on the disk.

Mike Tsinberg
http://keydigital.com