[opendtv] Re: A full explanation of the PSIP time issue.

  • From: "johnwillkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 18:17:28 -0700

I'd differ as to who can do it right.

I've only heard one minor nit about DTV Innovations, and that sounded like a
customer problem.

Were Triveni Digital a successful company, or had to exist in the real
world, their systems would be as reliable as the DVD-RW drives that their
corporate parent makes.  Triveni's problem is that it's engineering isn't
real-world:  it works in the lab, for at least a few minutes, but they seem
to lose track of the output device over time.  So, they blame the DVB-ASI
vendor.  Unfortunately, the same exact problem exists in Triveni Digital
units that lack DVB-ASI output.

The only bad thing I've ever heard about Thales Pearl unit (Amber?) is that
it's hard to integrate with virus protection.  One use who also has a
"Triveni Experience" (he won't let them into the station) told me after two
years of use that it has about 1/3 the problems of a Triveni unit.

There are three companies other than mine who have varying degrees of
reliability wrt PSIP.  If there are any other companies with dynamic PSIP
systems in the U.S. market, I don't know of them.

Unlike DTV innovations, I don't have outside investors to hew to.  (At this
point).  Unlike Triveni (digital signage?) and Thomson (everything including
digital signage), I only do PSIP.  I'd sure as hell better do it well!
Also, unlike them, I don't charge more if you want to add satellite PSIP
(A/81), nor will I charge more for providing PSIP for data broadcasting when
I make that available.

I will do everything but travel to the customer's station to make their
system work.  And, if the weather is right, this weather wuss might even do
the trip ...

At this point, I won't say that my units are more reliable than those of
others, since the unit hasn't run for more than 2 weeks before we stopped it
for one reason or another.  However the basic "bit-spitter" code hasn't
changed much in more than 3 years, and I've resolutely fixed all known
issues quite some time back.

John Willkie

P.S.  I also try to pay attention to looming needs and even attempt to
anticipate them.  A few years back, I first showed a working interface that
permitted manually changing EPG listings (like for amber alerts or other
program preemptions.)  Now, people are asking for it, because to not have
the EPG match the video during a breaking news or emergency coverage can
bring about fines greater than $10,000 per instance.

P.P.S.  I will be distributing for evaluation purposes, a production
prototype of my fairly-priced singleton PSIP Generator (EtherGuide Emissary)
to prospects starting in the next few weeks.  The only difference between
this unit and the final unit will be the physical configuration and possibly
the form factor of the motherboard.  If you or your station would like to
try out the unit -- without custom software to link to non-PMCP traffic or
automation systems -- drop me a note off-list.
jwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>