[opendtv] Re: A full explanation of the PSIP time issue.

  • From: "johnwillkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 15:42:23 -0700

Well, I can accept that our differences start with your nub.

But, that's not the end of it.  Your station bought a PSIP generator that
you aren't happy with now.  Yet, despite the well-documented experiences of
virtually every other user, you bought it without a maintenance contract and
now have uncorrectable bugs.  (Different that the "somewhat corrected bugs"
that you get with the maintenance contract.)

You said that my price was too high.  Yet, I don't recall any price
dickering in our discussions.  My first customer gave me a take it or leave
it price that was a fraction of my list price and I accepted it, as long as
the price remained confidential.

Now, you are talking with another vendor.  I suspect that is DTV
innovations, and I wish you well.  I have had only initial discussions with
Myers about Pro-track, but I didn't find them to be the most interested in
providing interface details in advance of a customer need, and I would be
leery at this point agreeing to providing an interfacing application for a
set price.

I have only written four log/automation interfaces at this point: PMCP,
Harris MCAS, Wide Orbit and the very weird log system used at KYES.  Let me
say that doing the interface to a traffic/log system isn't rocket science,
but getting the interface details can be 'tough.'  (I've never had any
problem, and Wide Orbit gave me their details about four years ago.)

What is the problem is that it looks at this moment that I'm the only person
in North America who is actually writing PSIP generation applications.  If
you don't believe me, ask Chris Knectel the name of his developer.

The industry is full of firms that want to defend their proprietary
interfaces (Myers, Triveni, Moto) to transport streams traffic/automation
data.  These interfaces increase the cost of ownership and maintenance.

There are also savvy firms in the field -- Harris immediately comes to mind
-- that have come to realize that there is MORE money to be made by using
industry-standard interfaces.

PMCP is one of those interfaces.  I support it directly.  Triveni has never
released or announced a PMCP-complaint product (save that GuideBuilder will
download schedule data via PMCP.)  DTV Innovations offers it as an option,
and Thomson's Pearl supports it, although I probably won't know the extent
for a couple of more days.

You've already made a decision that you are unhappy with involving a PSIP
generator.  If you don't purchase a PMCP-compliant PSIP generator, you are
likely to be unhappy again in short order, unless you plan on NEVER offering
ACAP/OCAP or other data broadcasting.

If your traffic system vendor doesn't offer a PMCP interface this year, they
will likely be alone.  Virtually every vendor that I've talked to plans to
have theirs operational this year, and it was a short list for those that
didn't currently offer one.

There is a compatible XML schema that will also become important in coming
years.  It's called BXF, and Chris Lennon of Harris is the chair of the
SMPTE S-22 data exch group that has been developing it for the last few
years.

BXF and PMCP work together.  With BXF, all the data necessary to control
transmission of programs and spots is in an XML schema; with PMCP, all the
data needed to create PSIP or data broadcasting 'signalling' is contained in
a single XML schema.

So, pardon me if I'm off 2 or 7 or 14 seconds on a theoretical calculation
involving a date more than 27 years in the past.  I don't have nor will I
take the time to debate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
Perhaps I am off -- although I haven't seen any evidence on point -- in my
calculations involving system_time.  I'll get to the bottom of it, and
without referring to the GPS spec.

I tend to distill it down to "trying to do the right job" and not merely
"doing the job well."  Whatever you do, buy the maintenance contract.  The
spec changes from time to time, and if your implementation of A/65 doesn't
permit change, you are hobbling yourself.  And, it's nice to have the
advantage(s) of whatever development efforts the companies put towards
existing customers.

Buying the most expensive and least reliable PSIP generator on the market
and not getting a maintenance contract isn't "doing the right job" nor is it
"doing the job well."

I only have myself to blame for my mistakes, and when a customer tells me
something appears wrong, I quickly get to the bottom of it, and propose (or
implement, if it's within my purview) a real fix.

I don't blame hardware vendors (I chose them, after all), and I've expended
serious efforts to try to prevent garbage from going into my systems.  My
list prices are less than Triveni, but more than other competitors.  Let me
highlight that again: the most expensive units on the market are the least
realiable, but large companies that like doing business only with large
companies buy the turds again and again, I guess because the marketing
drones say "all the problems are fixed."

Caveat emptor!

John Willkie

P.S.  I'm not soliciting business at this point from PBS stations that use
Myer's Pro-Track.  Last time I checked, either Triveni listed them as a
partner, or they listed Triveni. Let them live with one another, at least
until I've tested my implementation to their interface.