[opendtv] Re: A full explanation of the PSIP time issue.

  • From: "johnwillkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 16:33:03 -0700

Paul Freeman wrote: (in part)

I>f anyone has Mark Eyer's PSIP book "PSIP: Program and System Information
Protocol", they can see an example of how time in the STT is represented on
page 150 at the bottom of the page. The following few >lines of text are
from Mark's example:

>    Current time of day (UTC): 1:00 P.M., December 30, 2001;

You mean Mark Eyer started out calculating the value for a system time table
using UTC?!, and didn't make any correction to make it GPS?!  Surely he
understands that you can make the calculation just using GPS time values!
(more likely he knows that the GPS to UTC conversion ahead of the time
difference calculation is in elegant and would needlessly complicate the
text.)

And, he denoted the time span value as a count of GPS seconds!

In other words forks, he has somehow ended up with that same erroneous
"beliefs" as mine.  (Actually, at best, I travel in his wake.)

Do you think I should call Mark up and tell him that three people on this
list don't agree with his calculations and he needs "reeducation" as do I?
Or would an email be more appropriate?  Should we ask the publisher to
withdraw the faulty text?  Should we also have the spec withdrawn as faulty?

Should I refer this matter to T3/S8?  What happens if Mark thinks it's
absurd?  Since he's T3/s8 chair, I could join ATSC, become a T3/s8 member
and work to topple him as chair, then I could get Bert on T3/s8, and he
could fix everything.

  :-)

John Willkie

P.S.  I might have to take back "EITs being in GPS time."  That's from an
informative portion of the text, and is contradicted by the plain language
in the main body.  Looks like I've found another nit to add to the list.

    .