[opendtv] Re: A full explanation of the PSIP time issue.

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 18:33:58 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> For certain types of events, the precision of method B is necessary.
> By specifying events using a time system that involves no
> discontinuities, difficulties involving leap seconds are avoided.
> Events such as program start times do not require that level of
> precision. Therefore, method A works well.

I agree with this. Maybe the FCC does too, who knows. That's why someone
who needs to care should ask.

But I think that Ron's and my experiences go way beyond these minutiae.
The errors are egregious and commonplace, which says to me that either
the software is beyond poor, or that stations don't much care.

I tend to believe the latter, because this software is just not so
complicated.