[opendtv] Re: A Clue as to number of OTA DTV users

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 13:32:46 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

http://broadcastengineering.com/hdtv/hd-service-fewer-hdtv/

> This is from a top firm and from last week.
>
> Interesting that he has a number for OTA HDTV viewers. He
> says 19% of the 9.8 million US households, that actually
> receive HDTV from any HD service, receive OTA.

Which is just what I suspected. ATSC users as of now are probably mostly
using ATSC for the HDTV content. This is contrary to the "common wisdom"
on here, but it makes perfect sense.

As long as broadcasters don't offer any significantly different CONTENT
over DTT than they offer over OTA analog, the most convincing reason to
transition to ATSC is for the HD content. As people transition to HDTV
sets, and they are doing so in droves, according to the CEA figures Mark
Schubin publishes, use of ATSC goes up and up.

Here is a quote you forgot to mention. And oh by the way, this is
exactly what also motivated my friend recently to use ATSC:

"We also find that consumers aren't willing to pay additional fees for a
digital set-top box or for a monthly HD service fee. That is something
that really turns them off. So they are willing to buy the set, but when
it comes to ponying up another $10 or $15 per month, they kind of draw
the line and say it's not quite worth it."

So, from what this article says, we can expect OTA usership to go up, as
people buy HDTV sets with built-in ATSC receiver. If the trend stays the
same, and people buy HDTV sets because that's essentially all people are
buying nowadays, it could mean an increase in OTA from 15 to 19 percent.
The article quotes an increase from 10M homes this year to 24M homes in
four years going to HDTV. So guess what that says about OTA users?

Seems to me that this is excellent news.

Also, KXII, a station in Texas, is multicasting two HD programs and one
SD program over their 19.39 Mb/s channel. Without AVC.