[opendtv] Re: A Clue as to number of OTA DTV users

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:01:28 -0500

On 12/14/06, Steve Wilson <stevenjwilson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is the big play.....the cable companies are going to milk the kids
who grew up on cable and crappy OTA reception, but the new kids on the
block, the techo geeks of today are going to have nothing to do with
cable.  Its going to be internet distribution for them, and OTA -
assuming the broadcasters can get their (and I use "their" lightly)
system working.

Based on history, can we predict Qualcomm will somehow get mixed up in
A-VSB - or whatever the portability answer is?

Qualcomm has over 50 pattens of COFMD, many more in the works and
recently bought a major OFDM company. Their MediaFlo technology that
they plan on using for broadcasting to cell phones is COFDM based.

If it wasn't for the above Qualcomm would not be in the broadcasting
business. And they plan on exiting ASAP via selling off this broadcast
venture or distributing it to shareholders after they get it going.

I don't think Qualcomm will have anything to do with A-VSB. They are
even planning on going with COFDM for cellular.