[opendtv] Re: A Clue as to number of OTA DTV users

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 22:19:54 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

The number of OTA users will go up but the percentage of all
with HD content will go down.

Exactly the opposite. I predicted more than 10 years ago that the question will not be "How can we make money with HDTV," which was what broadcasters were asking back then, but rather "In order to compete, you will have to offer HDTV." In order to sell ad space, you will have to be showing HD content. (Even if the ad itself is not HD.)

And this is happening. The more people buy ED/HDTVs, the more they will opt for the nicer images GIVEN THE OPTION. For example, they will go to the HDTV newscast if there's one available. And this is what will make more and more content go to HD.

Exactly the same as they did with FM radio and its much improved sound compared with AM. It takes some time, but people eventually "get it."

Since this has been happening with TV, first during prime time and now outside of prime time, I again marvel at your enthusiastic pessimism.

Remember when the nyasayers were commenting about how wise Fox was to go 480p during prime time? I wonder whatever happened to their "wisdom."

BTW, did you check out the 2 HD + SD offered by KXII? Must be magic, eh?