[opendtv] Re: 20051029 Schubin's Saturday Stuff (Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "Tony Neece" <tonyneece@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 01:15:00 -0800

John Wilkie remarked:=20
...the chip/IP cost (to the manufacturer) for those fantastic fifth
generation sets is in the same neighborhood as the wholesale cost (to =
the
retailer) for a DVB-T receiver.

That is quite a big difference.  Any idea for the reason? Perhaps =
because
COFDM has been around longer and is a common telephone mux technology?  =
Or
is it because the DVB receiver manufacturers have gone ahead producing =
them
in volume? Do you know about the cost of MPEG decoder chips?  I'd guess =
they
are in great volume by now.

By the way, I can't blame retailers for not taking on the yoke of =
selling
$250 - $500 STBs to John Q.  I do think they have had a lot to do with
stagnating the R & D efforts.

Thanks for the info
Tony