[opendtv] Re: 060707 Free Friday Fragments (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:24:22 -0400

Kilroy Hughes wrote:

> All it takes to support niche programming technically
> is a one time file copy from anywhere in the world to
> the headend server (and some EPG exposure, inclusion
> in a virtual channel, or some other discovery
> mechanism).

All you need for such niche programming is a broadband Internet
connection. Which, IMO, has very little to do with IPTV. That could be
offered right now, by any cable company that provides Internet broadband
access.

> So, I say the biggest difference is that you can be
> supplying 10,000 different "channels" on a node with
> last mile bandwidth that can only handle maybe 10
> channels, and backbone bandwidth that may average 1,000
> "channels" of simultaneous downloads and multicast
> streams (but typically has vastly more capacity with
> 10GigE routers).  Contrast that with a parallel and
> synchronous cable plant that has every wire carrying
> every TV channel all the time (very poor frequency reuse,
> throughput limited to the weakest link last mile
> bandwidth).

Again, instead of speculating, the question to ask is just what is the
bandwidth intended for the customer premises when switched video via
IPTV are offered by the cable company? It would be simple enough to
offer the most popular channels as MPEG-2 TS broadcasts, and VOD or
specialty channels as IPTV, but that's obviously not going to provide
the benefits to the service provider that are the motivation behind this
move.

Also, if you really expect multicast joins to be done in a few
milliseconds, those streams in the backbone have to be available to edge
routers on a continuous basis, which makes the claim of huge gains in
backbone efficiency suspect. Depending how many of the programs are
offered with short switchover delay, obviously.