[opendtv] Re: 060707 Free Friday Fragments (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:07:54 -0400

> The two Keys to the Kingdom seem to be 1) Switched
> Digital Video (SDV) to more efficiently use QAM channels
> and 2) "Cheap" All-Digital STB and HD-DVR that can be
> used to wean the MAJORITY of cable viewers from Expanded
> Analog to Digital. Even though that means the complication
> of adding an STB for most viewers (which may become less
> of a drawback in Feb2007).

Exactly.

The cable system can migrate gradually from the mix of digital and
analog channel, and can migrate gradually from wasting bandwidth on
simulcast SD and separate HD digital programs. Ditto migrate gradually
to AVC, if that's even such a big deal here.

And as you imply, the cable company can promote, rather than discourage,
the use of cable-ready receivers with CableCard (I take that as being
your mention of Feb 2007), including the use of the new two-way
CableCard upgrade, because people do generally despise STBs.

The cable-ready PVR market *should* be booming, as it is not so
encumbered with legal issues as the built-in cable virtual PVRs are.
PVRs, w/o removable discs, are clearly meant for time-shifting only, and
the FCC and courts *have* said that is okay. So in principle, nothing
should be stopping this. (As if.)

My point: I think your #2 choice becomes the favorite, unless cable
systems insist on making life difficult for everyone including
themselves.

Any reluctance of CE companies to produce the required hardware is in
large part caused by a perception that the service providers are doing
all in their power to render such standard solutions obsolete even
before they make it to market.

That's my perception of reality. (Perhaps "clueless as usual," as our
self-professed experts claim.)

And the really nice part about this WOULD be that these standardized
cable solutions would also work for OTA users. Oh gee. I wonder if that
makes them more or less likely to be implemented.