[opendtv] Re: 060707 Free Friday Fragments (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 23:12:24 -0700 (PDT)

The biggest differences between current MPEG2 architecture and IPTV is that the
former is not very error/delay tolerant and hence must be either streamed from
a "local" server or a dedicated "pipe" must be guaranteed from a remote server
to the user.  That means the MSO has to "manage" it all the way....which will
be difficult when "niche" programs come off of servers located all over the
place...
How are all these 100's and maybe 1000's of "niche" producers going to be paid?
 MSO's shouldn't have to negotiate a contract with every "source": be they
music concert venues, music groups, individual artists, religious groups,
hobby, travel, collecting....not to  mention independent film/p*rn producers...

IPVT may permit near-real-time delivery if you have a big enough pipe, but I
would expect the cable "niche program" VOD/PPV implementations to establish a
connection to a server.  The server could be local or remote, maintained by the
MSO Central Office, a religious group, in the U.K., wherever.  The server could
dump it to your DVR for playback at your convenience, with wait times dependent
on the server.  If there is a charge, expect to see it reflected on your monthy
bill...

Advantages: robust error control, easy interconnections, fairly easy
billing/vendor payout and fits into high speed I-N upgrade architecture with
minimal impact on existing HFC wiring....

For example splitting nodes and allocating more capacity on I-N QAM carrier(s)
to each user.  Note that FiOS ONT provides (shared) 622 MHz down and 155 MHz up
on same fibre as 55-870 GHz TV spectrum.  And that's just one fibre...

holl_ands