[openbeosnetteam] Re: our package

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 12:57:41 +0200

>> > Do you guys know about good/better opensource (and compatible with
>> > Haiku
>> > licence) DNS resolver than BIND's one?
>> No, but BIND9 really looks good. I had a look at the older versions
>> and they were
>> really messy. BIND9 is rather clean, but huge. Axel, you see, we
>> really need kernel-
>
> If it's so big, maybe the kernel is not really the right place for it?!
> How big is it, anyway?

Oh, it's merely 300K. I thought it was >1MB. Then, it can easily go into the
kernel.
Now, let's add kernel lib support! ;)

dns_module links against libroot and libbind.
Kernel loads dns_module, sees that it wants to have libbind, so it loads
/boot/beos/system/kernel_lib/libbind.so
Apparently, libbind.so should only depend other kernel-libs, too.
Our libbind needs socket functions, for example, so it links against
/boot/beos/system/kernel_lib/libsocket.so
This would even simplify our kernel-land API for sockets because we do not need
to create Haiku-specific code when porting libraries into the kernel.
What if some library is missing? Just do not load that module! This is the same
as if your Adaptec SCSI adapter could not find the SCSI bus manager (pretend
they load in that order). It will return B_ERROR and the system will unload
that module (and log this to syslog).
You never really explained to me where the exact problem is. I hope you will
not jump around now and shout "aaaaaaaaaah!". :)
Anyway, it is an R2 feature (we will not have the kernel-DNS stuff in R1, will
we?).

>> land-libraries. This would allow putting libbind into the kernel and
>> creating a simple
>> module that handles requests and routes them to libbind.
>
> Then you can just statically link it :)

Uhm, hey! :) Well, why did I say this? :)
I probably thought of adding this multicast thingy or managing static DNS
entries from the kernel.

Bye,
Waldemar