[openbeosnetteam] Re: our package

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:54:30 +0200 CEST

"Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Can i suggest to put these etc files in /boot/home/config/etc/ ?
> > I don't know if it is doable though.
> Our libraries only look in /etc and it would be better not to change
> them
> because this makes porting new versions becomes more complicated.

May I strongly object with this? :-)
I think the ease or porting new versions is no reason to disregard
BeOS' standard locations to put files like these. IOW files like
.bashrc or .vimrc don't belong where they go now - they belong to
B_USER_SETTINGS_DIRECTORY.
And such, the files you mention would go into a
B_BEOS_SETTINGS_DIRECTORY - which doesn't yet exist; in any way, it
should be B_BEOS_ETC_DIRECTORY in this case :)
To properly port a piece of software, changing its paths to match those
of BeOS is a requirement.

Having said that, as long as we're providing test packages for R5, we
should not clobber system directories.

Bye,
   Axel.