[openbeosnetteam] Re: our package

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:28:37 +0200

> I think that there is no need for such a directory either - the system
> directory itself should only contain the base OS, and no user or system
> settings at all. All components of the OS should come with useful built
> -in settings.

That is what I searched for as the best solution. :)
I can try to write a small perl script that translates those etc files into
structures and then we can import it into our libbind. I cannot imagine that
"services" changes often (if at all)I will try to integrate the following into
libbind and libnet:
services
protocols

Is /etc/networks only used by "route"? If so, we could possibly drop it? :)

What is left is only resolv.conf. We should at some point replace it with a
kernel DNS handler (which could support temporary and static DNS entries, I
wrote this too often).

Philippe's suggestions look nice, too (after we import services&protocols into
the libraries).

> Anything else should either go to B_COMMON_SETTINGS_DIRECTORY or, to a
> lesser extent, B_USER_SETTINGS_DIRECTORY. Since we don't have a common
> directory right now, I would vote for adding one, either just a /boot/
> config/ folder which contains that stuff or a /boot/common/ folder.

/boot/system/config would be better, IMHO. That would allow the same naming
scheme as in /boot/home/config.
But we already have /boot/system/add-ons. Should we replace it with a link and
move the folder to /boot/system/config (or /boot/config?) in order to be more
consistent with the /boot/home/config directory structure?

> /etc is a symbolic link right now, and we probably can't remove it
> either. The point is, that I don't think this directory makes a lot of
> sense. I would better like to separate application data, and settings.
> I would suggest to add two new kind of folders to any BeOS system:
> - B_{COMMON|USER}_DATA_DIRECTORY for most of the stuff which you can
> now find in /etc (keymaps, timezones, etc.) - if you have a better name
> for that, please tell :)
> The other options I would have are "shared", "database", "storage", ...
> - but I think of these, "data" is best.
> - B_{COMMON|USER}_CACHE_DIRECTORY for web and other cache data
> (persistent but non-critical data)
>
> Any comments or critics? I would really like to see these directories
> with Haiku R1.

Yes, let's add them. Should they go under /boot/home||system/config/?

Bye,
Waldemar