[openbeos-midi] Re: Softsynth integrated (FluidSynth)

  • From: gsc70@xxxxxxxxxxx (Greg Crain)
  • To: openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:36:18 +0000

> > Great!
> > How can i test this?
>
> the soft synth loads by default /boot/beos/etc/synth/big_synth.sy
> (which I locally linked to a General Midi sf2 bank (I used
> sYnerGi-8Mb.sf2).
>
> > I can't start MidiSynth in Haiku, because it seems to be linked against
> > libnet.so, which isn't there in Haiku. When I create a link called
> > libnet.so to libnetwork.so it starts, but "Disable Synthesizer" is
> > greyed out, so I guess it doesn't find the softsynth. The "Midi Out"
> > meny shows nothing. I have a SoundBlaster Live! card using the emuxki
> > driver. Is there midi support in that driver?
>
> I also tested with MidiSynth 1.6 on Haiku at the time the network libs
> hadn't yet changed. Maybe there is a bug when no SoundFont is found.
> About emuxki I didn't test the midi support of this driver. It could
> be considered experimental.

The emuxki midi driver support is _only_ for hardware midi cables connected to
an interface on the joystick port.  This is for connecting midi cables from
external midi devices such as keyboards, drum machines, amplifiers, etc.
There is no softsynth support in any soundcard driver itself for Be/Haiku
AFAIK.  This is all handled by the midi server, and the software synth.

As far as the menu being blank, are you sure the midi_server is running and the
libraries are there?  The emuxki should at least publish the midi device.  I'm
not sure about all programs, but the midi kit returns the available ports via
the BMidiRoster::NextConsumer, and BMidiRoster::NextProducer.  If the server
and/or libraries are not all there, it may not return anything.  I don't know
if some apps are actually looking at /dev/midi/.

> > > Though I had to download a GM soundbank for this (I used sYnerGi-
> > > 8Mb.sf2).
> > >
> > Where can I find this? And how should I tell the fluidsynth library
> > which soundfont to use?
>
> You have to download a SoundFont bank or find one on a Creative Driver CD.

I tried a soundfont from my Creative CD, but it crashed.  I haven't tested it
much because my Haiku system has only 96M of memory, and a lot of things
crashed.  I haven't tried or tested it recently though.

> > Are there any free soundbanks which could be included in Haiku by
> > default?
>
> If you come with a good one, let me know. The one I downloaded were
> not redistributable AFAIK.

I think we should include _something_ that works, even if it is not that good
(one that we can redistribute).  We can always include a better one later.

> You can also submit bugs in our Bugzilla if needed.
>
> Bye,
> Jérôme

BTW - Jerome, thanks for your work on the Fluidsynth.  I had sent you an email
some time ago, but your mailbox was full.

Regards,
Greg