[openbeos-midi] Re: Softsynth integrated (FluidSynth)

  • From: Al Elias <al@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 18:07:46 +0000

Hi Jerome
I was quite surprised that under such a heavily loaded cpu/memory situation the playback remained very responsive. I don't know why the system is so heavily loaded but regardless, this is good news and good progress from the situation in R5.

I have a collection of both smaller solo orientated soundfonts and gm soundbanks, but my desire is to load high quality drum kits into the synth. Some of these are also massive and response/latency as you know is critical.

I will continue to stress test the fluidsynth and report problem here and any bugs to the bug tracker :o)

Thanks again

Al
Hi Al,

Sure the fluidR3 is big but once it's loaded there is quality. It's
also a good test for real performance of the Haiku OS (disk, cache,
vm).
Finding a little soundfont would be better at least for older systems.

Bye,
Jérôme

2007/11/8, Al Elias <al@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
The sound of tumbleweed blowing across this list is deafening!  :-)
Anyways, just conducted my first test on Haiku (real hardware) using the
FluidR3 GM.SF2 soundbank included in the above download.
It expands to a WHOPPING 141 Mb by the way. Still, I played back a
couple of standard midi files using the MidiPlayer. I actually thought
the system had hung. But being the patient kind of guy I am I hung
around for a minute or so and woah!  Once the soundfont had loaded, both
midi files played back without glitches.

The  load on the (1.8 Ghz) cpu was way too high and it almost max'd out
my 512 Mb ram but hey! Well done for this! Thanks!

Al