[obol] Re: speaking of woodpeckers...

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "linda@xxxxxxxx" <linda@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 10:02:50 -0800

Linda et al.,

As Mike Patterson suggests, the report(s) of Ivory-billed Woodpecker from 11
years ago are not deemed as credible by more than a few true believers. Many
who dissected the famous  David Luneau video, the hardest piece of evidence
supporting the claim of Ivory-billed Woodpecker being extant, believe that the
bird in the short clip is a Pileated Woodpecker.

Most all birders seem to have an emotional investment in this bird, with many
clinging to the remotest possibility that it exists. Given the amount of effort
and technology applied to the recent searches, I am not one who is hopeful.

There is one table-pounder named Michael Collins, who for nearly a decade has
been packaging and repackaging some very poor video of a distant bird and then
applying a lot if his own murky calculations in an effort to convince the world
that it's an Ivory-billed. If nothing else, his drumbeat keeps the discussion
"alive," even though the bird probably isn't.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR

Sent from my iPhone