[obol] Re: speaking of woodpeckers...

  • From: Dan Gleason <dan-gleason@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 11:25:04 -0800

I think that if there is any chance of an Ivory-billed Woodpecker still living,
it would be in Cuba. The chance of this is exceedingly small, however. Lester
Short was one prominent ornithologist who saw living birds in Cuba in the
mid-1980s in a remote forested region of Cuba. The last bird seen there was a
female in 1987. A few searches in the early 1990s found no birds or evidence of
any living birds (sounds, fresh drillings, etc.). This region has been off
limits by the Cuban government for many years so there is a very, very remote
possibility of some woodpeckers still living. However, most experts believe
that the Cuban Ivory-billed Woodpecker was extinct by 1990 and there is no
evidence to suggest otherwise, although a very large portion of the habitat has
not been searched.

The taxonomy of the Cuban Ivory-billed Woodpecker remains uncertain. Some
people consider it to be a sub-species of our Ivory-billed Woodpecker and
others consider it a closely related, but separate species. It is unlikely that
we will ever see ours or the Cuban Ivory-billed again.

Dan Gleason
dan-gleason@xxxxxxxxxxx
• Co-owner, Wild Birds Unlimited of Eugene
• Author of "Birds! From the Inside Out" and "Looking for Yellowheads"
• Instructor of Field Ornithology, University of Oregon
541-953-4726