[obol] Re: [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert <daily>

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <garbledmodwit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jblowers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jblowers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 17:17:39 -0700 (PDT)

Joe,

Thanks for the info. I did misunderstand but it makes sense, anything unusual
is flagged.  I think it is a great idea to share the list with OBOL, so
sightings can get some peer review (I bet those eBird reviewers can get busy!).
The kingbirds may be a bit early but I wouldn't have any question on those, the
Swainson's Thrushes though seem a few weeks earlier than the usual "early"
records the last few days of April. I did see in Birds of Oregon a record from
2 April as the earliest and the regional eBird bar chart shows them showing up
the last week of March, but I would think those real early sightings could be
suspect but maybe they happen?  I did point counts at New River in SW Coos for
15 yrs. and have worked in the Coast Range east of Coos Bay since 1988, and
have never seen one early than the last week of April but they could arrive
earlier inland?

I will say that many migrants arrive much earlier in the valley than on the
coast (BT Gray Warblers for instance).

Tim R
Coos Bay
On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 3:09 PM, Joseph Blowers <jblowers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi folks,

There is a misunderstanding of how eBird’s rare bird alert works. It’s
definitely “buyer beware” when it comes to the rare bird alert, because the
alert includes reports that are under review by the reviewers and which will
probably be invalidated. No reviewer looks at the report before it goes onto
the rare bird alert. They probably hear about it at the same time it shows up
on the rare bird alert. If anyone anywhere in Oregon misidentifies a Hermit
Thrush as a Swainson’s Thrush, it will show up on the rare bird alert. This
does not mean that it will end up on the eBird bar charts and other records. If
the report is later invalidated by a reviewer, it will not show up on the bar
charts or other eBird data. It does remain on that birder’s personal record
unless they decide to delete or change their identification based on feedback
from the reviewer. I hope this clarifies the misunderstanding some have about
how the rare bird alert works.

Joe Blowers
eBird reviewer

On Apr 9, 2014, at 1:22 PM, Tim Rodenkirk <garbledmodwit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Swainson's Thrushes in early April- I am surprised this made it onto the rare
bird alert? I would think that whoever covers Benton County would have caught
this one.