[obol] Re: [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert <daily>

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 07:53:30 +0000

Greetings all,
I see that I have been dubbed a "super birder" by Brandon Wagner. I have no
cape or "S" on my chest, I'm just a birder like the rest of the folks on this
list. I respect Brandon's concerns about the length of the report list and
worries that it will only get longer as we get into spring migration. I've done
some investigating and the problem is two-fold, yet readily solved by filter
adjustments.
Some may disagree with this assessment, but of the 16 line items listed below,
I only see seven that I might include in a report of unusual or rare birds. The
rest  appear on this list due to overly conservative date filters or year-round
filters set at zero when the filter number should be set at "1." Only birds
that trigger a zero filter show up on this list. I'm finding that many of the
swallow filters for western Oregon counties are set to zeros before April 1st.
After about 15 March, small numbers of most swallow species (sans Bank Swallow)
are possible in w. Oregon counties. I will try to spend a few minutes each day
fixing problems that trigger inappropriate birds to appear on the daily eBird
rare bird reports. Species like Barn Swallow, Cliff Swallow, N. Rough-winged
Swallow, and Common Yellowthroat should not appear on at statewide "rare" bird
alert for the 22nd of March.
This report can be nice tool, but like any mechanism it needs some occasional
fine-tuning to work properly.
Dave IronsPortland, OR

From: ebird-alert@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert <daily>
Date: March 22, 2014 10:08:15 AM PDT

*** Species Summary:

Ross's Goose (1 Marion)
Trumpeter Swan (3 Marion)
Tufted Duck (3 Multnomah)
Rough-legged Hawk (2 Washington)
Black-bellied Plover (1 Klamath)
Dunlin (1 Klamath)
Williamson's Sapsucker (1 Union)
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (3 Washington)
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (Northern) (1 Multnomah)
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (1 Josephine, 6 Multnomah)
Barn Swallow (1 Klamath, 1 Marion)
Cliff Swallow (1 Benton, 2 Josephine, 1 Marion, 1 Washington)
Mountain Bluebird (1 Multnomah)
Common Yellowthroat (1 Josephine)
Yellow-throated Warbler (1 Marion)
Rusty Blackbird (3 Washington)