[obol] Re: coastal Sooty Grouse

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 15:51:31 -0700

On our local CBC we have had them one year since 1972.  In our circle is a
heavily wooded (forested area) called South Slough.  Great owling spot on
the count with some pretty large trees (not old growth though).  We
occasionally get Ruffed Grouse but not Sooty?  They are just darn rare near
the beach here, seems like a surprise to a lot of OBOLers, but such is the
case. The closest to the beach I have heard them is up Bethel Mtn. during
breeding season, but that is up around 1,000' and inland.  I have never
heard them calling from the valley forest around Coquille and Myrtle Point
either and I have worked in and around them most of the time I have been
here.  Gotta go up in elevation and further inland.  Same for Gray Jays
here.  Only one Coos Bay CBC record also.

The sun is out (first time in several days), time to head out!
Tim R
Coos Bay