[obol] Wed morning, Eugene

  • From: Lawrence McQueen <larmcqueen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 19:20:16 -0700

Clearwater Park, Springfield, is on the Middle Fork of the Willamette R. This
nice riverside trail runs through riverine forest of mostly of tall deciduous
trees, but with conifers mixed in. Some spots are like small remnants of a fir
forest. Songbirds are plentiful and woodpeckers are common. The Red-eyed
Vireo has been a constant bird for some years, always at the same group of
mature cottonwood, slightly off trail. This morning we found the species a
short distance down stream from their previous site and along the trail, in
maple canopy but not far from cottonwood. Two birds responded to the call and
behaved as one would expect from a nesting pair. Other finds included a nest
of Western Tanager in a cedar tree. We did not continue on the trail as far as
we had always done previously, so expected species like Bullock’s Oriole did
not make the list.

Mallard - 2
Common Merganser - 1 female
Great Blue Heron - 4
Turkey Vulture - 9
Osprey - 1
Bald Eagle - 2 adults soaring
Red-tailed Hawk - 2
Spotted Sandpiper - 6
Rock Pigeon - 1
Eurasian Collared Dove - 1
Mourning Dove - 2
Hummingbird sp. - 1
Belted Kingfisher - 2
Red-breasted Sapsucker - 6
Downy Woodpecker - 2
Northern Flicker - 5
Western Wood-Pewee - 8
Willow Flycatcher - 1
Cassin's Vireo - 1
Warbling Vireo - 5
Red-eyed Vireo - 2
Steller's Jay - 1
Western Scrub-Jay - some
American Crow - few
Tree Swallow - 13
Violet-green Swallow - 7
Barn Swallow - 1
Cliff Swallow - 3
Black-capped Chickadee - 4
Bushtit - some
Bewick's Wren - 1
House Wren - 1
Wrentit - 1
Swainson's Thrush - 4
American Robin - 14
European Starling - some
Cedar Waxwing - 12
Common Yellowthroat - 6
Yellow Warbler - 1
Black-throated Gray Warbler - 1
Wilson's Warbler - 1
Yellow-breasted Chat - 4
Spotted Towhee - 12
Song Sparrow - 10
Western Tanager - 8
Black-headed Grosbeak - 5
Lazuli Bunting - 6
Brown-headed Cowbird
Lesser Goldfinch
American Goldfinch

Randy Sinnott, Sarah Vasconcellos, Steven and Judy Franzen, Dave Brown, Dennis
Arendt, Scott McNeeley, Cindy Armstrong, Jim Regali, Marie Royer, Kit Larsen,
Sarah Vasconcellos, Silvia Maulding, and Larry McQueen