[obol] Re: Scoter Trifecta in Multnomah County

  • From: Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 09:21:05 -0700

Hi:

I  find first year female Surf Scoter hard to id sometimes.  Seems to me
they can look a lot like Black Scoter.  I always try to recall these
pictures  ( go to photo 11 and 12)

http://www.birdfellow.com/birds/black-scoter-melanitta-nigra#/idPhotos

Note in photo 12 the  smaller size and different body shape as well.  Also
note how easy it is for a Black Scoter to look down and over its bill,
imagine a Surf Scoter  trying to see the top of its bill, no way.  A
White-winged Scoter can just manage to do this.

 Black Scoter really look more like your normal pond duck than either of
the other two.  The top of the bill enters the head at more of an angle
than a Surf Scoter.  I think the problem for me is that first-year female
Surf Scoter do not always  have those feathers that come down on top of the
bill of Surf Scoter. So the bill looks far more "normal duckish" and thus
Black Scoter.

I skipped over (due to lack of courage and certainty!)  trying to figure
out if that was a Black Scoter or Surf since I stink at one photo id's.
But I was assuming it was a Surf based on the size of the duck compared to
the Surf (Black are smaller) and the lack of a "normal duck" look to the
head-bill connection and my impression that the duck can not see the top of
its bill..

Here is a bit Sibley put out on the subject:

http://www.sibleyguides.com/2011/02/identifying-scoters-by-shape/

Bob Archer
PDX