[obol] Scoter Trifecta in Multnomah County

  • From: Beverly Hallberg <mapsout@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 20:42:58 -0700

Tait, Andy and I saw 13 Surf Scoters and at least 1 Black Scoter female
today - maybe 2 Black Scoter females and maybe a male Black Scoter as well
- at Hayden Island-Columbia Point.

https://flic.kr/p/pPTXBZ
https://flic.kr/p/pPYdzy
https://flic.kr/p/pMNjJd
https://flic.kr/p/pPE62x

I also believe I saw a White-winged Scoter at Broughton Beach although it
was too far for good pictures.

And then I wonder if these are White-winged Scoters at Hayden Island
without the white wing patches or Surf Scoters?  The head is very wedge
shaped and the facial marks are more oval.
https://flic.kr/p/oT7dHe

Plus the Franklin's Gull was close to the boat launch at Smith/Bybee and
Andy and I saw a Northern Shrike behind the Bybee blind (but no photo of
that).
https://flic.kr/p/pPYrCC

Good birding day in Multnomah County!

Beverly Hallberg