[obol] Re: Scoter Trifecta in Multnomah County

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "mapsout@xxxxxxxxxxx" <mapsout@xxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 05:31:25 +0000

Beverly et al.,

I think that all of the scoters in your various images are Surf Scoters.
Starting with the easy part, all ages and all plumages of White-winged Scoter
have white in the wings. The birds in question appear to be adult female Surf
Scoters.

Admittedly, the bird labeled as a female Black Scoter is a bit ambiguous, as it
shows a very capped look and a mostly pale face below the eye. However, there
is some dark in the lower face pattern that doesn't seem to be right for a
Black and the bill looks pretty hefty and has a straighter culmen–at least in
the close-up image–than what I would expect to see on a female Black Scoter.
I'd like to see more photos of this bird if you, Andy, or Tait have them, but I
think it's probably just a young female Surf Scoter with a lighter than normal
face pattern.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 20:42:58 -0700
Subject: [obol] Scoter Trifecta in Multnomah County
From: mapsout@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tait, Andy and I saw 13 Surf Scoters and at least 1 Black Scoter female today -
maybe 2 Black Scoter females and maybe a male Black Scoter as well - at Hayden
Island-Columbia Point.  https://flic.kr/p/pPTXBZ
https://flic.kr/p/pPYdzy
https://flic.kr/p/pMNjJd
https://flic.kr/p/pPE62xI also believe I saw a White-winged Scoter at Broughton
Beach although it was too far for good pictures.And then I wonder if these are
White-winged Scoters at Hayden Island without the white wing patches or Surf
Scoters?  The head is very wedge shaped and the facial marks are more oval.
https://flic.kr/p/oT7dHePlus the Franklin's Gull was close to the boat launch
at Smith/Bybee and Andy and I saw a Northern Shrike behind the Bybee blind (but
no photo of that).
https://flic.kr/p/pPYrCCGood birding day in Multnomah County!Beverly Hallberg